NSC Cancels September 27 NFF Congress, Plans Three-Month Normalisation Committee

Published on: 18 August 2026

The National Sports Commission (NSC) has reportedly cancelled the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) electoral congress scheduled for September 27 in Lafia, Nasarawa State, as part of plans to reorganise the administration of Nigerian football, Nigeriasoccernet.com reports.

The proposed intervention could represent a major setback for the Ibrahim Gusau-led NFF executive committee, which has been preparing for another term after taking office four years ago.

The NSC is reportedly planning to constitute a three-month normalisation committee to oversee the affairs of Nigerian football and prepare the ground for a fresh NFF election.

The decision to halt the electoral process was reportedly taken last Thursday, following the Super Falcons’ elimination by South Africa in the African play-in for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Morocco.

Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the World Cup ended the Super Falcons’ record of appearing at every edition of the tournament since its inaugural staging in 1991.

Sources familiar with the development claimed that the NSC sought assurances from FIFA before proceeding with the proposed intervention. The commission was also said to have held discussions with FIFA President Gianni Infantino and CAF President Patrice Motsepe.

Former NFF President Amaju Pinnick was initially considered to head the proposed normalisation committee. However, the plan reportedly faced opposition from senior officials in the Presidency, with the NSC now searching for an alternative chairman.

“Some other names came up after some top officials in the Presidency turned down the NSC’s suggestion of making Amaju Pinnick the head of the Normalisation Committee,” a source told The Guardian. “For now, I don’t really know who will head the committee, but one thing I know is that Amaju is no longer in the picture.”

The source also claimed that concerns had been raised over the reported proposal to retain NFF General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi as secretary of the committee.

The Presidency has reportedly authorised the NSC to announce the normalisation committee, although its final composition was still being determined.

A senior NSC official contacted on the matter declined to provide details, describing the situation as sensitive.

“We are working, and Nigerians will hear from us very soon,” the official said.

If constituted, the normalisation committee would operate for three months and be tasked with addressing contentious issues surrounding the NFF electoral process, resolving stakeholder concerns and laying the groundwork for a fresh election.

The proposed intervention comes amid increasing scrutiny of the Gusau administration, particularly following Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup despite Africa receiving an expanded number of qualification slots.

The setback has intensified debate over the management of Nigerian football, including the development of national teams and the utilisation of financial resources provided by the Federal Government and international bodies.

FIFA has also continued to provide development funding to Nigeria through its Forward Programme, adding to calls from stakeholders for greater transparency and accountability in the administration of the sport.

The proposed normalisation process is therefore likely to attract significant attention, with stakeholders expected to demand a transparent process and a credible roadmap towards a new NFF administration.

Comments